Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Yashin a Hab???

The latest word coming out of the speculators is that Alexei Yashin is interested in playing in Montreal along side fellow Russian Alex Kovalev. I am not sure what to make of this. I have despised Yashin ever since the whole fiasco that occurred in Ottawa.

However, I sat and thought about this one. What I have realized is that Yashin could be an asset to the Canadiens if the money is right. The right price for the Canadiens is no more than 2-3 million a season for no more than two years. The key is that Gainey can not get locked into a contract for a player who has had a history of being trouble in the locker room and being lazy on the ice. If it doesn't work out, Gainey would have to find someone to take him off his hands which will be much easier if he has a manageable contract.

Will Yashin take a much smaller salary than he is used to? Well I guess that depends on how much he wants to play in Montreal.

Whether you agree or disagree that Gainey should consider Yashin as that big center to support Kovalev you can't deny that his potential point production is attractive for a guy who puts up just under a point per game and could be part of a dynamic punch with the other big Russian.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know what to think of this Yashin idea. I'm interested but fear it wouldn't work out. One thing is sure, is he wouldn't cost much, as the Isles gave up a large amount of money to get rid of him, so he might be willing to play for the 2-3 millions you stated.

He could be the perfect center for Kovalev: they would either be the magical duo or the super lazy combo... That's what I was saying, tempting but scary...

Check out my Habs blog if you read French!